Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Would You Visit Us in Anchorage?



As everyone knows, we are retiring from the Navy next November 1, 2010. We are trying to figure out where we want to go. We can go anywhere if we want. We have a few criteria for the place we pick. The top two are: One, it MUST be within a reasonable driving distance to a military base because we want to use our benefits. And two, we want our kids to go to an IB school. After that, we are pretty flexible. Though we'd prefer not to melt or be eaten alive by mosquitoes in the summers.


We have been looking at quite a few places. Our top pick right now is Anchorage, Alaska. Yes, it is cold and snowy there. Which is opposite of what we said we wanted a few months ago. Well, the snow anyway. I'm sure we can adapt.

Anchorage has two military bases and an IB high school. Also, it has the Aurora Borealis. Who doesn't want to see this in person?

Round trip nonstop flights from Houston range from $673 per person in economy to $2253 per person (ouch) in first class. It's a seven and a half hour flight. From Kansas City, round trip flights with one connection range from $573 economy to $2081 and higher for first class. You can also get there by train, but I'm sure it would take a week or so. You would also have to switch train lines in Canada. I'm not even sure if Amtrak goes into Canada anymore. You may end up on 3 different train lines. I'm sure it can be driven also, somehow and for days and days.

This post is long enough. If you're interested in reading a little about Anchorage, here's the Wiki page for you. Skim through it if you feel like it.

And, no, this is not a joke.
Love ya!

9 comments:

Chris said...

Alright I know this might be biased but I would love to live north of anchorage and experience the wonderland of the U.S.
We should talk our extended families into getting out of their comfort zones and making the trek with us :)

Heidi Noel said...

I asked Andy to consider Alaska after grad school a few weeks ago. No one visits us now, so why does it matter how far it is ?

Andy said...

Honest truth: if we don't move to Alaska ourselves, we probably wouldn't visit much. However, we'd love to. So, maybe but no promises and of course if we do move there we'd visit.

Dad said...

are you nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris said...

Nuts is my middle (O.K. it's wayne but I wouldn't make fun of somebody if their middle name was nuts; at least not to their face!)

Cheryl said...

Lol!

Scotty said...

Dude!!! I say go for it. you only live once and this life is too short, experience all u can and be happy. ps. it will probably be same trip for Houston.. lol. aww.. fishing, hunting, mountains.. more fishing :)

Wayne said...

Don't want to rain on your parade, BUT FYI....Cheryl ask Christina about how she handled the winters in Washington. Ask her to be totally truthful with you. There is plenty of beautiful places to visit BUT not all are worth staying for any length of time. I would research it some more. 6 months of darkness during the winter, NOT for me !!
Bottom line it's your decision, I'm all for the good schools, etc, but for retirement living I don't know if that's a good spot. Good Luck with your decisions and be happy with what you decide.
Remember my grand daughters live there...............(p.s. this is from WAYNE and that's my opinion.....but what do I know? )

Christa said...

I know I'm a little late with this response but.... you both know I am biased and want you close. I do however understand wanting to be somewhere exciting. Can't you just visit Alaska :-) I would love to visit Alaska and we do intend to take an Alaskan cruise but honestly, how many times am I going to be able to afford to visit? I am sure that you will be happy wherever you are as long as you have each other. Do what makes your heart happy! I have loved you from afar this long and I will love ya'll always no matter where you are.