Wednesday, September 9, 2009

School Frustration


Cameron


and Gabriel



Christopher not happy about school starting.


Cameron started kindergarten yesterday. It's so quiet now. Gabriel easily fell asleep around 12:30 for a nap. It's nice to have calm. At the same time I'm frustrated with Cameron's school. First they had him enrolled in first grade. I found out when I called the school office two weeks ago. I told them then that he is supposed to be in kindergarten. They told me to come into the office to verify on Monday. I did; he was still enrolled in first grade. I came back on Wednesday. They couldn't look him up for some reason. I came back on Friday. He was finally enrolled in kindergarten. The 3 times I went in, I asked if they have any kind of information packet, handbook, whatever for new students. No. I asked if there was an orientation for kindergarten. Yes, on the Friday AFTER school starts. Mkaayy? That doesn't make much sense. Anything I need to know? Just have him here at 7:25 for breakfast. Pick him up at 2:10. OK, how does he know where to go? Is there going to be someone keeping tabs on the kindergarteners? No, but he'll be fine. Really?? You don't know my kid. If he gets too confused, he'll head for home. And since the school gates are to remain open during school hours, and no one is keeping tabs on the kids, he may just make a run for it. He does know his way home, but he has to cross a street first. A street people speed down, with no stop signs. And this place isn't exactly a place you want a 5 year old walking around by himself. Ya know? On Friday after going through all of these questions again, I decided that we are screwed, it's going to be a rough start, and we are just gonna wing it. As I turned to leave the lady says: You DO know about the uniforms, right? NO, but please tell me because I was just off to clothes shop for school. (AND this would be a great example of why you need an information packet or something. Jeeze. And while I'm complaining, do you think I can get the school supply list and the schedule in ENGLISH? Just FYI I don't speak spanish and I certainly don't read it. I know I should in this day, but sorry, I was born in the 70's, it wasn't required learning at school yet. Oh, and I'm white. So, ya know english speaking parents and all.) No I didn't say any of that. I'm too much of a chicken I guess. But yesterday when I picked him up from school, my frustration got to me. Instead of trying to decipher the paper I had in my hand, I took it to the office and said, "Can I get this in english, because I don't speak spanish. Or at least can I get it translated?" It was information on a t-shirt they are selling and can be worn as part of the uniform. Yes, they found it in english for me. They seemed a little peeved as if I had offended them, but what can I do? Actually, I'm offended. But this spanish/ english thing is for another post.

Turns out, he did get lost after lunch. Maybe because nobody's keeping tabs on the kindergarteners. AND he didn't have a snack. Maybe because we didn't know to bring one. So strange though that the spanish speaking people knew. Hmm. And by the way, before I get frowned at too much, there is one other white, non-spanish speaking kid in Cameron's class. They didn't get the info about the uniforms or snack either. Strange?

And Cameron came home with a belly ache.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Yeah, as you know I'm a bit biased on the whole Spanish speakers in the US thing, but this is pretty ridiculous. Sure, give access to the info in Spanish, but it should be in English first, regardless of the dynamic of the class.
Yeah, it's a pain.

Heidi Noel said...

I am grateful I have Andy because I ran into the same problem a few times last year with Anneke'e preschool. They say we don't have a national language, but even if we did it wouldn't be Spanish!