Sunday, July 19, 2009

Quasi-answers

Where are we going to live? Well, we want to be near a military base so we can use our base privileges. So we are weighing the pros and cons between Fort Hood in Killeen, TX and Fort Leavenworth in Leavenworth, Kansas. (Missouri)

Texas:

Pros: Blue Bell Ice Cream, no state taxes, better veterans benefits, larger population of extended family for the kids to visit with; Grammy and Pawpaw Davis, and 3 sets of aunts and uncles with 6 cousins between them, 1 great aunt and uncle, 1 set of good friends with 2 kids between them and overall, the people in Texas seem to be friendlier.

Cons: HOT (100+ degrees in the summer with 100% humidity with summer seeming to last 9 months), mosquitoes galore.

Missouri:

Pros: Four seasons, Grandma and Grandpa Sinclair, 1 aunt and uncle.

Cons: Snow to shovel (we've never had to deal with snow so we really don't know if this is a biggie), extra long arthritic flare-ups for me due to the cold weather, state taxes, no extended family children for our children to be around. And overall when we have visited, the people seem to be a bit discourteous (similar to many Californians).

What is Chris going to do? I'll let him answer this one.---> I, Chris am very fickle and haven't completely made up my mind just yet. I do love Teaching and would love to be an Elementary School Teacher; there are so many benefits to a Teaching career-Summers off (or most of it) teaching of course, working with children :), benefits themselves such as second retirement. Then there is the choice of working in the area of my degree: Health Care Administration- Yes, I know wonderful pay, great job prospects and the such; but, my heart isn't there and I just spent 20 years working under a contract. Let me do something I love. I know I could be a great administrator and make a nice livin; but I also know that I could live well and support my family while enjoying my career as a Teacher. I could also work in other fields such as Education and Training or Safety or Environmental Health. But, what's the fun in those, I've been doing them for soooo long and feel that I need a new challenge. I also love that my Navy retirement will cover our new home purchase (as long as we keep it modest) and that I don't necessarily need that high income, high stress job. Well, that's pretty much my thinking now. I have about 4-5 more months before I really need to settle on something and start my last year in the Navy. Whatever I do, I want to enjoy my job and have time with my family.
Let me know what you think, O.K. and I'll either consider it or I'll put it in the-yeah right pile. Love ya and see you at the Retirement Party next November.(2010)

1 comment:

christa said...

I'll be there! I am so excited for ya'll. I share your points on teaching. That is why I switched from a nursing degree to teaching. The hours are awesome for family life and I figure even when Dean retires, I will have alot of time to spend with him and the kids (who will be grown by then) and grandkids. It is so hard to make a decision. Either way it is going to be awesome!!!!