Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Remembering Tylor


Amanda, Michael, Mara, Tylor, Emily, Christopher

When we first moved to San Diego, we made some great friends. They were our next door neighbors. Our kids became quick friends. They were always outside and always together. Michael and Tylor were the most polite kids I've EVER met. "Yes, please. No thank-you. Yes ma'am, no ma'am." Always polite. When Chris deployed, it was a great comfort knowing I had some good neighbors. (I was pregnant with Cameron at the time.) We were so sad when they moved back to Canada 10 days before Cameron was born.
Tylor and Mara and their mom came back to visit us a while later. Tylor and Emily were pretty inseparable. They seemed to be the best of friends. They were always laughing and always smiling. When they left again, Emily and Tylor kept in touch through MySpace. Good friends forever.


Tylor & Emily


Tomorrow will mark the one year anniversary of a very tragic event. One year ago, on July 30, 2008, there was a high speed police chase that lasted 33 seconds. In less than a minute, Tylor who was riding his bike home and was only ten houses away, was run down and killed. He was 15. I can't believe how bad we still hurt. I can't even imagine the pain his mom is feeling. I didn't realize how much I love that family, those kids, that young man. I hurt so much when I think of this tragic event that could have been avoided. It is senseless. So incredibly senseless.

When Amanda was hospitalized, I remember that phone call with the hospital not telling me if she was dead or alive, just that she was there in the emergency room and that we needed to get there. I remember that panic as we sped through the rain to get there. I remember the fear and the pain and the tears. And I know my friend went through that same thing. And I don't wish that on anyone. For my friend though, her son was gone. My heart is broken for her. I don't know how to help her. I don't know what words to say. I wish I could be there with her. When I think about it, my throat tightens and the tears just flow. I can't help it. I can not even imagine her pain. She is a single mom who has been through hell already with the breakup of her marriage. She is dealing with this alone. (Biological father passed away a couple of years ago, step-father doesn't seem to care, he never treated Tylor as his son.) I ask that my friends and family will hold her in your hearts, especially for the next few days. Say some prayers, send good vibes, whatever it is you do. She is falling apart, and I don't know what to say or do to help her. Please keep Jewel in your hearts.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I'm sorry, Cheryl. Even with the gospel it can still hurt when you remember those you can't visit right now. It's especially hard when they're so young.

Christa said...

I know what you are going through. Although we all suffered losing Ryan in 1998 it still seems like yesterday. The pain, the memory of the horrible moment we found out and the trip back to Humble from Odessa crying for a little while an then talking about sweet memories for a while and then more crying. Though it is still hard to think about today, it is my aunt Frankie and Uncle Bob who have the biggest burden. We too search for the right thing to say only to find out that there is no such thing. With them it was their only child which also conjures up that they will never be grandparents etc. You just want to do something to help. My aunt has told me that it helps just to know that people remember and talk about Ryan... I think sometimes she is scared that we will all forget about him and she will be the only one that remembers that she was someone's mom...not just anyone Ryan's mom. I will keep Jewel in my prayers as well as the rest of you who miss him dearly.