Monday, November 9, 2009

Catch-update

Since it has been half of forever since I've posted anything, I figured I'd do a catch-up/update post.

We have ultimately decided to keep Cameron in the school he's in. We did find another school that was individual study. We would have to meet with his "teaching coordinator" once a month, pick up his school work and turn in the previous month's work. So basically, home school where he would get one on one help from me. We would also have to go to the school for speech therapy once or twice a week. And they had half-day Kindergarten on Wednesdays where he could be with other kids his age, and full days on Thursdays. Since, the drive is not close, I wasn't looking forward to it. We enrolled him anyway, because we want what's best for him. Unfortunately, his birth certificate has managed to vanish and that put a glitch in the process. While we were waiting for the enrollment to go through, I kept him home. He was BORED and wanted to go to school and see his friends. And that was only two days. So we are sticking it out till winter break. If things haven't really improved, we will go ahead and switch him. So far, we are getting quite a bit of help. It looks like he may have a processing disorder, which I already suspected and have been trying to tell the pediatrician for a while. The pediatrician said they would find out at school and we could go from there. Well, the teacher HAS noticed a problem and got the ball rolling for some help. If I wouldn't have kept him there, we wouldn't have gotten that started. As far as the Spanish speaking. I'm just going to make sure they hear me loud and clear when Cameron has problems. And I'm not going to any more of the parent meetings.

In other news...most of the family knows, but for those who don't, Amanda and Kenny split up. It was all very dramatic and I'm happy to say that she is now in Texas with family and can move on with her life. She can go to school now and just started a new job. Something she wasn't "allowed" to do when they were together because she would've been around guys. Oh, did I say too much? Ooh, tragic. I'll stop there and just say, YAY! I'm soooooo glad she snapped out of her stupor. And I'm so happy she's got a job and a place to stay and lots of family around her. So, so happy. Again, YAY!

I spent this past weekend in a classroom doing 15 hours of training to become Family Childcare Certified in California. Wow, we have allot to do. California is so much more strict on childproofing. But I understand why. ALL of our drawers and cabinets most be locked whether they are empty or not, because of earthquakes. When I did FCC in Spain, we just had to lock cabinets on the children's level. Not so here, since stuff can fall on them. We are also responsible for preparing an earthquake backpack for each child in our care with enough supplies and food for 3 days in case we do have an earthquake or fire and the kids are stuck with me for a few days. Oh boy, I'm not sure if 3 days of supplies can fit in a backpack. I SHOULD know, but I don't. Yes, my LDS friends, I have not gotten my emergency stuff in order like I should. I had it together a few years ago, and it came in very handy when we had to evacuate within 15 minutes because of a wildfire. And let me tell you, it did not fit in a backpack. No way, no how. Uh uh. More like 2 pretty big Rubbermaid totes. And we STILL forgot the sleeping bags. And we used it up because we couldn't go home for two days and I still have not replenished it. Stoooopid. Anyway, I don't know how I would grab 6 small kids and emergency supplies and haul butt out the door, but I guess as long as I'm prepared I can do the best I can.

Well, that's all I've got for now. If I missed anything, let me know. Take care now, bye bye then.

1 comment:

Heidi Noel said...

I don't have 72 hour kits for my family either. Shhh, don't tell. We just don't have the space.