Sunday, April 19, 2009

We're Unplugging


National TV-Turnoff Week starts tomorrow, April 2oth. TV Turnoff Network is chock-full of interesting facts concerning screens and also has ideas of what we can do instead of vegging out in front of the boob tube. There are events all over the U.S. planned for this week. In some cities, Barnes & Noble is providing activities; not in San Diego though. In California we can volunteer to help build playgrounds; again, none in San Diego. *sigh* Looks like we gotta come up with activies on our own.

I've been warning my family for a couple of weeks that we will be participating. Everyone seems to be onboard. I'm hoping to make it the full 7 days. Tonight before we go to bed, we will be unplugging all of the TVs and shutting down the computer. I spent a few minutes on Friday hitting up the dollar section at Target finding things for the kids to do, and Saturday we went to Walmart and picked out seeds for our garden this year. Cameron and Gabriel also picked out some potted plants. We are going to repot them tomorrow. We plan to visit the library, a museum or two, spend some time in Balboa Park, go investigate a tide pool or two, play soccer, play board games, and anything else we can think of. I have about three books I've been trying to read. Hopefully I will finish at least one this week. I don't know though; I'm gonna be trying to keep kids entertained.

I'll probably pop online a few minutes in the evenings to post pictures of the day. I do have to check online for the tide charts later this week. I really don't consider that cheating. I dunno, maybe I won't post. We shall see.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Good luck and have fun. We did alright, though I couldn't totally unplug due to school, so it wasn't quite as cold turkey as you're going.

Heidi Noel said...

Since it is "No TV" you are technically not cheating and since it is only you...